Hand-Written Thank-You Note
Why Do I Need to Write a Hand-Written Thank-you Note?
- Express your gratitude to the recipient in writing.
- Say thank you in a more personal format.
- Writing a thank-you note shows you took the time to write the note by hand.
I Need to Send a Hand-Written Thank-you Note After…
- An organization interviews you.
- A professor, supervisor, mentor, friend, or family member provides career information/advice.
- A professor, prior employer, or colleague completes a recommendation for you.
- An informational interview with someone experienced in your field of interest.
- A fellow student, professor, or colleague goes the “extra mile” to support you with an assignment, application, resume review.
What is Included in a Hand-Written Thank-you Note?
- Write legibly.
- Appropriately address the person you are thanking (Ms. Roberts, Professor Smith, Dr. Hill).
- Say thank you.
- Be specific with why you are expressing your appreciation.
- Appropriately close the letter (Best, Sincerely, In Appreciation, In Gratitude).
- Sign your first and last name.
- If you have a business card, include 1-2 in the note.
Cite: BSCorbett Consulting, LLC. (2020). Hand-Written Thank-You Note. Retrieved from http://https://bscorbettconsulting.com/portfolio/hand-written-thank-you-note