You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Write answers to interview questions
Practice interview question responses in the mirror and with a colleague
Have copies of your current resume/portfolio with achievement highlights
Research the organization
Prepare questions for the interviewer about the organization and the position
Select clothes and have a colleague confirm your selection
Go to interview location: confirm travel time, parking (if applicable)
Practice. Practice. Practice.
Research the Organization
Obtain information about the actual interview
- Confirm date, time, location and inquire if there are any security requirements
- Who is the interviewer and what is her/his role?
- How long will the interview last (approximately)?
Learn as much as possible about the organization
- Read website (every page) and social media
- Know the organization’s mission and vision
- Know the Board Chair/President’s name
- Know the CEO/Executive Director’s name
- Ask who you will be meeting with and review their staff and LinkedIn profiles
Locate financial information
The Interview Day
Be on time [arrive 15 minutes early]
Turn off your mobile device and do not use
Sit professionally while waiting on the individual(s) to meet you
Make eye contact and shake hands with everyone you meet
Take a few minutes to reflect on what went well and what you can improve; write down new interview questions to add to your practice questions
Write a formal thank you and graciously express your appreciation for their time
Cite: BSCorbett Consulting, LLC. (2020). Interview Checklist. Retrieved from http://https://bscorbettconsulting.com/portfolio/interview-checklist